BROOKLYN - A fire at a three-story building in Brooklyn that killed three members of the same family was caused by a lithium-ion battery, FDNY commissioner Laura Kavanagh announced at a Monday news conference.
According to the NYPD, 81-year-old Albertha West, her son, 58-year-old Michael West, and her grandson, 33-year-old Jamiyl West, were all pronounced dead Sunday at a hospital.
Chief of Fire Operations, John Esposito, described the scene as "a very difficult, dangerous fire operation." (FNTV)
Hundreds of firefighters responded to the home located at 242 Albany Ave. in Crown Heights.
Chief of Fire Operations, John Esposito, described the scene as "a very difficult, dangerous fire operation."
At least 14 people, including a firefighter, were injured, officials said. (FNTV)
"A fire operation like this, when you have heavy fire on multiple floors of the building, is time-consuming to extinguish, very dangerous operation for our firefighters," Esposito said.
At least 14 others suffered injuries, including a firefighter who was taken to a hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, officials said.
Hundreds of firefighters responded to the home located on Albany Avenue in Crown Heights. (FNTV)
Kavanagh said the recent deaths bring the total number of people killed by fires caused by the batteries, for this year alone, to 17.
"This number is staggering, and is devastating, and it underlies a problem that we have been sounding the alarm on for some time," Kavanagh said.