Migrant children in NYC
The Cayuga Centers in Harlem is one of the facilities in New York taking in migrant children who have either crossed the border alone or have been torn away from their parents at the border. About 600 children are in the Cayuga's care. Rep. Adriano Espaillat and other local officials took a tour of the facility on Friday afternoon. They say the staff at Cayuga is doing a terrific job taking care and reunifying families.
The Cayuga Centers in Harlem is one of the facilities in New York taking in migrant children who have either crossed the border alone or have been torn away from their parents at the border. About 600 children are in the Cayuga's care. Rep. Adriano Espaillat and other local officials took a tour of the facility on Friday afternoon. They say the staff at Cayuga is doing a terrific job taking care and reunifying families.
3 WTC set to open
Silverstein Properties is one step closer to completing construction at the World Trade Center site. The developer is having a grand opening on June 11 for 3 World Trade Center. The 80-story tower is the fifth-tallest building in New York City. So far, about 40 percent of the building is leased.
Silverstein Properties is one step closer to completing construction at the World Trade Center site. The developer is having a grand opening on June 11 for 3 World Trade Center. The 80-story tower is the fifth-tallest building in New York City. So far, about 40 percent of the building is leased.
Mom to be reunited with son
The NYPD is looking for a man who abandoned his ex-girlfriend's child outside of a brownstone in Harlem Thursday morning. Alandria Clark told FOX 5 NY that she does not know why a daycare center let her ex leave with the boy. She went to family court on Friday where a judge ruled that she should get custody.
The NYPD is looking for a man who abandoned his ex-girlfriend's child outside of a brownstone in Harlem Thursday morning. Alandria Clark told FOX 5 NY that she does not know why a daycare center let her ex leave with the boy. She went to family court on Friday where a judge ruled that she should get custody.
Boy abandoned in Harlem
The NYPD is looking for a man who abandoned a child outside of a brownstone in Harlem Thursday morning. Authorities released a photo of the abandoned boy and security camera images of an adult man believed to have left the child in front of 272 West 132 Street at about 11 a.m. The security video shows a man police identified as Antonio A. Staton, 22, holding hands with a 1-year-old boy outside the brownstone, near Frederick Douglas Boulevard. Police said that moments later Staton put the child behind a table and shopping cart to keep the boy from getting out. He then walked across the street, placed a bag full of diapers in a garbage can, and took off, police said.
The NYPD is looking for a man who abandoned a child outside of a brownstone in Harlem Thursday morning. Authorities released a photo of the abandoned boy and security camera images of an adult man believed to have left the child in front of 272 West 132 Street at about 11 a.m. The security video shows a man police identified as Antonio A. Staton, 22, holding hands with a 1-year-old boy outside the brownstone, near Frederick Douglas Boulevard. Police said that moments later Staton put the child behind a table and shopping cart to keep the boy from getting out. He then walked across the street, placed a bag full of diapers in a garbage can, and took off, police said.
Hudson Yards arts space pop-up
For the next two weeks in Hudson Yards, you're invited to free performances called the Prelude to the Shed. This is part of the build-up to the 2019 opening of the new arts center the Shed, which will be located a block away. Consider the Prelude to the Shed, which is a pop-up, more of a taste test where you get to experience all sorts of artistic flavor.
For the next two weeks in Hudson Yards, you're invited to free performances called the Prelude to the Shed. This is part of the build-up to the 2019 opening of the new arts center the Shed, which will be located a block away. Consider the Prelude to the Shed, which is a pop-up, more of a taste test where you get to experience all sorts of artistic flavor.
The Roosevelt Hotel's cultural impact
The Roosevelt Hotel is steeped in New York history. Opened in 1924 and named after Teddy Roosevelt, it is one of the few Manhattan hotels that retain the grandeur of an era gone by. In its day it was known as the Grand Dame of Madison Avenue.
The Roosevelt Hotel is steeped in New York history. Opened in 1924 and named after Teddy Roosevelt, it is one of the few Manhattan hotels that retain the grandeur of an era gone by. In its day it was known as the Grand Dame of Madison Avenue.
David Bowie subway station
There aren't many things New Yorkers wait in line for but a MetroCard with David Bowie on it is one of them. Spotify just unveiled a unique Bowie art installation at the Broadway-Lafayette subway station in Manhattan.
There aren't many things New Yorkers wait in line for but a MetroCard with David Bowie on it is one of them. Spotify just unveiled a unique Bowie art installation at the Broadway-Lafayette subway station in Manhattan.
Firefighter dies in Harlem fire
Brave members of the FDNY fought a fire in Harlem. Firefighter Michael Davidson of Engine Co. 69 got separated from his team and died. A precession Friday took Davidson's body back home to Long Island. The 37-year-old had served the FDNY for 15 years. Firefighting was in his blood?his father is a retired firefighter and his brother is a member of the department, too.
Brave members of the FDNY fought a fire in Harlem. Firefighter Michael Davidson of Engine Co. 69 got separated from his team and died. A precession Friday took Davidson's body back home to Long Island. The 37-year-old had served the FDNY for 15 years. Firefighting was in his blood?his father is a retired firefighter and his brother is a member of the department, too.
Fatal Harlem fire
A New York City firefighter died early Friday battling a fierce blaze on a movie set in a former jazz club after getting separated from his fellow firefighters in the thick smoke. The fire started in the cellar as the crew of "Motherless Brooklyn," directed by Edward Norton, was nearing the end of its working day at 11 p.m. Thursday. Flames poured out the windows as firefighters stormed into the five-story Harlem building, dumping water on the blaze to get it under control.
A New York City firefighter died early Friday battling a fierce blaze on a movie set in a former jazz club after getting separated from his fellow firefighters in the thick smoke. The fire started in the cellar as the crew of "Motherless Brooklyn," directed by Edward Norton, was nearing the end of its working day at 11 p.m. Thursday. Flames poured out the windows as firefighters stormed into the five-story Harlem building, dumping water on the blaze to get it under control.
FDNY Firefighter Dies
A firefighter died at a building where an Edward Norton movie is using as a set.
A firefighter died at a building where an Edward Norton movie is using as a set.
Manhattan snowfall
The region's 4th nor'easter of the month dumped snow on Manhattan on Wednesday. The snowflakes were quite large and fluffy. The accumulated snow was wet and packed well.
The region's 4th nor'easter of the month dumped snow on Manhattan on Wednesday. The snowflakes were quite large and fluffy. The accumulated snow was wet and packed well.
Central Park tree lawsuit
Anne Monoky spoke publicly Monday for the first time since a 75-foot American elm fell on top of her and her three children and pinned them to the pavement of West Drive in Central Park near 62nd Street. She sat with her husband Kurt Goldman and attorneys Thomas Kline and Jordan Merson Monday and announced that they have filed a lawsuit seeking $200 million from the city, the Central Park Conservancy, and various corporations tasked with maintaining the park's trees.
Anne Monoky spoke publicly Monday for the first time since a 75-foot American elm fell on top of her and her three children and pinned them to the pavement of West Drive in Central Park near 62nd Street. She sat with her husband Kurt Goldman and attorneys Thomas Kline and Jordan Merson Monday and announced that they have filed a lawsuit seeking $200 million from the city, the Central Park Conservancy, and various corporations tasked with maintaining the park's trees.
Chelsea bomber sentenced
A man who set off small bombs in two states, including a pressure cooker device that blasted shrapnel across a New York City block, was sentenced Tuesday to multiple terms of life in prison. Ahmad Khan Rahimi, a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Afghanistan and lived in New Jersey, injured 30 people when one of his bombs exploded in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood on a September night in 2016. A second bomb planted nearby did not detonate.
A man who set off small bombs in two states, including a pressure cooker device that blasted shrapnel across a New York City block, was sentenced Tuesday to multiple terms of life in prison. Ahmad Khan Rahimi, a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Afghanistan and lived in New Jersey, injured 30 people when one of his bombs exploded in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood on a September night in 2016. A second bomb planted nearby did not detonate.
Congestion pricing analysis
A nonprofit group says that its analysis proves that congestion pricing will not hurt the average New Yorker. However, others are saying "Hold on a minute?that analysis doesn't tell the whole story." The Tri-State Transportation Campaign analyzed federal census data about travel patterns into Manhattan south of 60th Street. That area is referred to as the toll zone for proposed congestion pricing.
A nonprofit group says that its analysis proves that congestion pricing will not hurt the average New Yorker. However, others are saying "Hold on a minute?that analysis doesn't tell the whole story." The Tri-State Transportation Campaign analyzed federal census data about travel patterns into Manhattan south of 60th Street. That area is referred to as the toll zone for proposed congestion pricing.
Sayfullo Saipov in court
At a pretrial hearing in federal court in Manhattan on Tuesday, Sayfullo Saipov sat before Judge Vernon Broderick listening to the proceedings via an Uzbek translator on headphones. His defense team asked that his visitor log in federal prison remain private, but the judge said that due to national security an independent person from the U.S. Attorney's Office would have to approve all visitors.
At a pretrial hearing in federal court in Manhattan on Tuesday, Sayfullo Saipov sat before Judge Vernon Broderick listening to the proceedings via an Uzbek translator on headphones. His defense team asked that his visitor log in federal prison remain private, but the judge said that due to national security an independent person from the U.S. Attorney's Office would have to approve all visitors.
Congestion pricing backlash
Drivers entering Manhattan south of 60th Street from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. would be charged $11.52. Trucks would pay $25. For-hire vehicles, like taxis, Uber, Lyft and Via, could see surcharges from $2 to $5 per ride. All the money would go to repairing and maintaining the MTA's crumbling subway and bus system.
Drivers entering Manhattan south of 60th Street from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. would be charged $11.52. Trucks would pay $25. For-hire vehicles, like taxis, Uber, Lyft and Via, could see surcharges from $2 to $5 per ride. All the money would go to repairing and maintaining the MTA's crumbling subway and bus system.
Congestion pricing: benefits and goals
As angry as many New Yorkers are at the idea of congestion pricing, others admit that paying to drive into Manhattan may be a necessity to fix crumbling infrastructure. Although congestion pricing is not a new proposal, it is needed now more than ever, according to Bruce Schaller, who worked on the idea back during the Bloomberg administration.
As angry as many New Yorkers are at the idea of congestion pricing, others admit that paying to drive into Manhattan may be a necessity to fix crumbling infrastructure. Although congestion pricing is not a new proposal, it is needed now more than ever, according to Bruce Schaller, who worked on the idea back during the Bloomberg administration.
Congestion pricing: Queens reaction
Drivers Fox 5 spoke with in Queens said the proposed congestion pricing fee has them shaking their heads. Some are already looking for a Plan B. City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer admitted congestion is a problem but said he is hearing from Queens residents about the fee. Many told him the fee will be a hardship.
Drivers Fox 5 spoke with in Queens said the proposed congestion pricing fee has them shaking their heads. Some are already looking for a Plan B. City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer admitted congestion is a problem but said he is hearing from Queens residents about the fee. Many told him the fee will be a hardship.
Congestion pricing: plan overview
by Gov. Andrew Cuomo. The pricing zone would cover Manhattan south of 60th Street from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Trucks would pay $25 and for-hire vehicles could see surcharges from $2 to $5 per ride. The money would go towards the MTA's crumbling subway and bus system. But members of the panel told Fox 5 they weren't allowed to seek guarantees the state won't use the new funds to withdraw state funding from the MTA, which the governor has done before.
by Gov. Andrew Cuomo. The pricing zone would cover Manhattan south of 60th Street from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Trucks would pay $25 and for-hire vehicles could see surcharges from $2 to $5 per ride. The money would go towards the MTA's crumbling subway and bus system. But members of the panel told Fox 5 they weren't allowed to seek guarantees the state won't use the new funds to withdraw state funding from the MTA, which the governor has done before.
Congestion pricing plan
A traffic-management idea that seems to come around every few years but then dies off has yet again resurfaced: so-called congestion pricing in Manhattan. Fox 5 spoke to several drivers during rush hour in Midtown Manhattan on Wednesday. They all said that they oppose the very thought of congestion pricing. But they may have to get used it one day. The idea is included in New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's new budget proposal. The governor said his plan would not put tolls on the East River bridges.
A traffic-management idea that seems to come around every few years but then dies off has yet again resurfaced: so-called congestion pricing in Manhattan. Fox 5 spoke to several drivers during rush hour in Midtown Manhattan on Wednesday. They all said that they oppose the very thought of congestion pricing. But they may have to get used it one day. The idea is included in New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's new budget proposal. The governor said his plan would not put tolls on the East River bridges.



















