NEW YORK (FOX 5 NEWS) - Lew Leone is the vice president and general manager of WNYW-FOX 5. He is taking to the airwaves with his thoughts on current affairs. It's called "Lew's View." In this commentary, Mr. Leone outlines the qualities a great mayor needs.
New York City Deserves Better. That's the name of a new organization founded by Bradley Tusk, a successful businessman with political experience including stints as Chuck Schumer's communications director and Mike Bloomberg's campaign manager.
His mission is to make sure that Mayor Bill de Blasio only serves one term and that the next mayor is qualified to lead the greatest city in the world.
One of the main criticisms of the current mayor is his work schedule, which the New York Times called a "a routine that most busy people can only dream of."
"Normal people who want to do well, work really hard and the idea that you have the most important job in the entire city and you just don't take it seriously is really offensive," Tusk says.
So in an effort to assist Mr. Tusk, I've put together a job posting with the qualifications and experience that the next mayor must possess in order to lead our city forward.
The job is for four years, and while the mayor will be on call 24/7, 365, on a typical day he must be in the office by 9 a.m.
Early morning workouts are allowed but if your gym is 12 miles from Gracie Mansion you must put your membership on hold.
Democrat preferred but not essential.
The new mayor must:
- Have experience leading a large organization preferably from the private sector
- Be able to hire and retain the best management team
- Make decisions on a timely basis
- Be on time for meetings and events
- Develop a good working relationship with federal and state government
- Deal with the growing homeless problem
- Help make New York City more business-friendly
- Treat staff with dignity and respect
- Not be directly influenced by contributions from special interest groups
- Support charter schools
- Allow innovative transportation alternatives like ride sharing.
- Build trust, respect and support with New York's Finest and Bravest, who work long hours and put their lives on the line everyday
- Manage the city budget responsibly
We have New York's Finest and New York's Bravest, now we deserve New York's greatest mayor. Let's encourage some real leaders to apply for the job and help put New York City back on a winning track.