MONMOUTH BEACH, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey town says a man was hospitalized after he was stung by a clinging jellyfish.
Emergency management officials in Monmouth Beach say the man was swimming in the Shrewsbury River when he was stung by the species, which is native to the Pacific Ocean. The sting can lead to serious medical problems, including kidney failure.
Clinging jellyfish usually hang on to eel grass or seaweed and surface at night to feed.
It's believed the species was transported to the Atlantic Ocean by clinging to ships that sailed from the Pacific.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.