Vigil held for 7-year-old who died in fall from moving SEPTA subway car

Family and friends of 7-year-old Aden Devlin gathered at the Broad Street SEPTA station near Glenwood Avenue to remember the little boy whose life was tragically cut short.

"My little boy made all these people out here happy," said his mother, Kimberly Dantzler. Aden's parents led the vigil trying to stand strong in the midst of everyone grieving the loss of their precious son.

"I came out here to make this night for my baby and I did," said Dantzler.

Police say Aden and his 11-year-old brother were on the train Sunday evening selling candy. They were with a 26-year-old man who the family Monday said is a close family friend. Police say Aden was crossing train cars when he fell through onto the tracks and was killed.

On Monday, his parents said they're standing by their friend who was with Aden. They say he took kids off the streets to do something positive.

“He have kids out here selling candy and trying to teach them how to not to go to the street," said Dantzler.

“He showed them you don’t have to sell drugs. You don’t have to be out in the streets in a gang to make money. He showed that to them," Devlin said.

The 26-year-old was overcome with grief and thanked Aden’s parents for finding it in their hearts to forgive him. They say it was just a mistake.

"I love him and I miss him and I got to wake up every day and go to sleep every night with this on my mind. I'm the one going to be traumatized. I just ask everybody to pray for his family, his mom, his dad and just keep me in their prayers," he said.

Aden's mom urged everyone to stop the judgment.

“I did what's right for my son so now I wish for the rumors to stop. Let my baby rest in peace now," she said.

SEPTA officials held a press conference earlier Monday saying the National Transportation Safety Board is now investigating. They stressed that the trains are not meant to be crossed while in motion.  No word on whether any charges will be filed.