TMZ: Video shows Halladay flying aggressively before crash

Image 1 of 10

Courtesy TMZ

Roy Halladay appeared to be flying erratically and even dangerously in his plane in the moments before his fatal crash -- making extreme and unusual changes in altitude, according to multiple witnesses. 

TMZ Sports obtained footage shot by boaters who say the ex-MLB star's plane was going from 100 feet in the air down to 5 feet and then back up again, repeatedly. 

The boaters were so shocked by the flying pattern, they pulled out their cell phones to capture the bizarre dips and rises.

Moments later, the plane crashed into the Gulf of Mexico -- and the boat full of witnesses raced over to the crash scene to see if they could help. Once they arrived, it was clear the pilot was dead.  The responders called 911 and waited for help to arrive.

In a press conference Wednesday, officials with NTSB, which is investigating the crash, asked anyone who may have seen Halladay's plane the day it crashed, or who may have a video of him flying to please contact investigators at

LINK: Watch the video from TMZ (warning; foul language)

TMZ says they spoke with other boaters in the area who told a similar story -- "dramatically increasing and decreasing in elevation."  

Another witness told TMZ, "He was flying like that all week. Aggressively."

Halladay, 40, earned his pilot's license in 2013 after retiring from Major League Baseball. He had tweeted about the brand new amphibious sport plane that he liked to fly over the beach.

“I keep telling my dad flying the Icon A5 low over the water is like flying a fighter jet!” one tweet boasted.

The specific aircraft Halladay was flying was the first of 100 “Founders Edition” ICON A5's built for 2018.  A press release on ICON’s website says the airplane was delivered to Halladay in mid-October.  

A representative from the NTSB said a preliminary investigation was underway, but there seemed to be evidence of a "high-energy impact" on recovered parts of the plane.

The NTSB said two data recorders were on the plane and both had been recovered for analysis. A preliminary report from the NTSB would be released in 7-10 days and a full report would be complete in 1-2 years. 

Halladay is quoted in the release saying “not only is it the safest and easiest aircraft I’ve ever flown, it is hands-down the most fun.”

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has launched an investigation into the crash.