NEW YORK (AP) - Prosecutors have dropped charges against a New York man who spent 22 years in prison for a double killing before new witnesses came forward and his conviction was overturned.
Calvin Buari's murder case was dismissed Wednesday. His conviction was tossed in May, but Bronx prosecutors initially pledged to appeal and retry the case if necessary.
Buari was freed in May but remained under indictment until Wednesday.
The 47-year-old had been convicted of shooting brothers Elijah and Salhaddin Harris in 1992.
Recently, two newfound witnesses testified they saw another man commit the shooting. A third said Buari was down the block when the gunfire rang out.
Also, prosecutors' key witness later confessed to the crime himself, then recanted. He then recently said Buari was not the gunman.