NEW YORK (FOX5NY) - As a response to rider complaints about an increase in delays and service interruptions, the MTA released a six-point plan to improve system reliability and service. However, even with plans for improvement, riders are dealing with yet another subway entrance being closed, leaving them frustrated.
The grand opening for the Second Avenue Subway was only five months ago. But closed entrances and out-of-service elevators have been too common since then, riders said.
The MTA's $20 million plan aimed at addressing chronic service delay issues is being expedited to help meet the needs of riders. MTA Interim Executive Director Ronnie Hakim said she knows customers are frustrated and she shares their concern. The MTA will form rapid response teams tasked with fixing the tracks and other equipment problems. The delivery of 300 new subway cars is being moved up.
And although passengers are grateful for the changes in place, they say it is a little too late. The closures and detours are causing the platforms to be over-crowded making riders feel unsafe.
Many New Yorkers are wondering: why is this happening and where is the accountability? When it comes to the MTA, the chain of command goes from Gov. Andrew Cuomo to MTA Interim Executive Director Ronnie Hakim to the station master. We reached out to the MTA for the name of the 86th Street station master, but so far have not been able to confirm who it is.
We spoke to some of the workers at the station. No one seemed to know when a shuttered station entrance is supposed to reopen. One person told us later Tuesday. Another said at the end of the week. A sign said Memorial Day.
With the AP.