Family demands answers into Paterson man's death

A Paterson man died hours after frantically asking police for water and saying he was paranoid. Now his family is demanding answers about his death.

Jameek Lowery posted a live video to his Facebook page early Saturday morning showing himself foaming at the mouth and sweating profusely while asking police inside the station for water.

Lowery had called 911 at about 2:45 a.m. telling the operator that he had taken ecstasy and was paranoid, according to the Passaic County Prosecutor's Office. 

An ambulance brought Lowery to St. Joseph's University Medical Center, but less than an hour later he left and went to a Wendy's Restaurant where he called 911 again.

Lowery then walked to Paterson Police Headquarters where he streamed live video of himself.

"I'm just paranoid," Lowery said on the video. "I'm just paranoid. That's it." 

Minutes later, an ambulance arrived and Lowery walked to the vehicle, according to the Prosecutor's Office. 

Once inside, police used physical force and compliance holds to secure him. Lowery's family told local media that he suffered injuries to his face during the transport.

The Prosecutor's Office said there was no indication of trauma based on hospital records.

Once he arrived at the hospital, Lowery was unresponsive. He died a few hours later.

The officers involved were placed on administrative leave while the matter was being investigated.

"The Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office is fully investigating every step of the series of events on Saturday evening, interviewing police and fire officers as well as medical professionals at St. Joseph’s University Medical Center," Mayor Andre Sayegh said. "They are also awaiting the results of toxicology and autopsy reports. I completely support a full investigation into Saturday evening’s events. In the meantime, I have expressed my condolences to the family of Mr. Lowery, who are suffering during this difficult time. I ask that all Patersonians share their prayers and condolences."