Celebrity dog Chloe the Mini Frenchie dies during hospital stay

Loni Edwards and Phil Toronto on Wednesday brought their beloved mini French bulldog Chloe to the vet for a routine procedure to repair her soft palate. Their vet advised them to leave Chloe overnight for precautionary monitoring at Blue Pearl Veterinary on East 15 Street, a 24-hour animal hospital.

"We couldn't even fathom that anything could go wrong," Toronto said.

"Nothing should have gone wrong," Edwards said.

The couple waited at Blue Pearl for the vet techs there to bring them to see Chloe. What happened next was their worst nightmare.

"Our vet came up to tell us what had happened, that someone from Blue Pearl didn't calibrate the oxygen, plugged it into her and it blew out her lungs and she had multiple cardiac arrests," said Edwards, breaking down in tears.

While she and Toronto mourn the 4-year-old dog that was their life, they aren't alone in their grief. Condolences have poured in from around the world.

Chloe the Mini Frenchie, as she was known on social media, had almost 200,000 Instagram followers and appeared in advertisements for major brands and even on magazine covers. Chloe's fans have also been crushed by her sudden death.

"She just made so many people happy and we've been getting thousands and thousands of messages from people all around the world sharing stories of either when they met her or they never met her and seeing her photos was such a big part of their lives and how they're crying with us," Edwards said.

Chloe was not just Loni's fur baby, she was also the inspiration and foundation of her business, The Dog Agency.

Blue Pearl apologized for what happened.

"We are so very sorry for the loss of Chloe, a special dog who brought joy to thousands of people. This was a medical error that shouldn't have happened. We are conducting a review and will be taking immediate steps to ensure nothing like this ever again occurs at one of our hospitals," Blue Pearl said in a statement. "We recognize that pets are part of our families, and we strive to give our patients the same care we would want our own pets to receive. As animal lovers, we are so saddened by Chloe's death, and we are committed to working with the Edwards family and responding to their concerns."

It is little comfort to Edwards and Toronto.

"This never should have happened, we just wanted to share the story so hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else," Edwards said.