Charging battery blamed for Queens fire that killed 9-year-old boy

A nine-year-old boy was killed and 11 other residents were injured after a fire broke out inside a house in Ozone Park.  Fire officials say the fire was started by a charging battery for an electric bike.

The flames erupted in the basement of the three-story building at about 2 a.m. Wednesday, according to FDNY officials.

Remi Miguel Gomez Hernandez was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ten other residents of 81-19 102 Road and one firefighter were treated at Jamaica Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries.

Get breaking news alerts in the free FOX5NY News app!  |  Sign up for FOX 5 email newsletters

Nine firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro says this is not the first time a fire has been caused by a charging battery.  He also says there is an investigation into whether the home was illegally subdivided into apartments.