NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - A science experiment gone wrong at St. Catherine Academy in the Bronx Wednesday sent four students to the hospital with burns.
One student was listed in serious condition at Jacobi Medical Center and three others were treated for minor burns, according to the FDNY. All the injured are 15 years old.
Fire officials said they were called to the all-girls Catholic high school on Williamsbridge Road at 8:25 a.m.
"This morning an accident occurred during a demonstration performed by the teacher in which several students were singed by a flame in the chemistry lab," said President Sister Patricia Wolf. "Four students were sent to the hospital. There were no hazardous materials involved."
The teacher was reportedly performing a demonstration using alcohol and a type of metal that caused a fire.
There was no visible fire once firefighters arrived.