Police: Officer shot during Philadelphia traffic stop expected to recover, 3 suspects arrested

Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw says an officer who was critically injured when a traffic stop escalated to a shooting Wednesday in West Philadelphia is expected to recover. 

Investigators said the officer and his partner flanked a vehicle with three inside near the intersection of 60th and Market streets around 3:30 p.m. 

During the traffic stop, investigators said a struggle ensued between the officer and a passenger during which the officer was shot twice. 

Shortly after the shooting, Deputy Commissioner Stanford said one of the bullets exited the officer's body and doctors were working to determine there are no serious internal injuries.

The Fraternal Order of Police on Wednesday night said the 32-year-old officer underwent surgery and has been placed in stable condition. 

"There's absolutely relief that we're not reporting on an officer death, but that doesn't take away the anger that I feel, the frustration that we all feel," Outlaw said.

Outlaw, who was out of town during the shooting, told reporters Wednesday night that two of three people involved in the shooting have been taken into custody.

Police sources told FOX 29's Steve Keeley a third suspect was later taken into custody in West Philadelphia and had a gun on him at the time of his arrest.

"It's just a very dangerous and difficult job done by very brave people," Mayor Jim Kenney said outside the hospital. "Our prayers are with the officer and with all our officers to make sure that he recovers and they stay safe."

On Thursday, police released additional details about the injured officer and the search for the suspect. 

According to officials, Officer Giovanni Maysonet, 32, and his partner pulled over a silver 1999 Lexus model ES 300 on the 200 block of N 60th Street. The first officer approached the driver's door as Maysonet went to the passenger side, police say. 

Authorities say the suspect, identified as 43-year-old Eric Haynes of Darby, Pennsylvania, got out of the car and turned away from Maysonet. 

As Maysonet grabbed around Haynes' midsection with both hands to hold him, Haynes fired two shots, striking the officer, according to officials. 

Police say Mayonet's partner fired several shots at Haynes but missed as he fled from the car and Maysonet was then driven to Presbyterian Hospital by his partner. 

Authorities say one bullet struck Maysonet's bulletproof vest in the chest area and another bullet went through his abdomen and exited through the back. 

Mayonet is now in stable condition after going through surgery to ensure no damage was done to his internal organs.  

Investigators say Philadelphia SWAT officers found Haynes sitting in a parked car in an ally behind the 6800 block of Guyer Avenue and he was taken into custody without incident. 

A black semi-automatic firearm loaded with 17 live 9mm rounds was located near the driver's door of the car Haynes was in, police say. 

Authorities say Haynes has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, assault of a law enforcement officer and related charges.