Parents say sitter broke their baby's bones, police investigation drags on

Image 1 of 5

Javier Smith and Karli Uhse are convinced their babysitter is responsible for what happened to their son Kameron.

Karli says she knew something was wrong when she picked him up from the sitter's house in Wyandotte in October 16. His arm was hanging and seemed limp.

"I touched his shoulder thinking maybe it had been dislocated," Karli said. "I worked my way down his arm and realized as soon as I got to his elbow, he started screaming." They rushed Kameron to Children's Hospital where they learned he had a broken arm, fractured ribs and a fractured wrist.

Javier and Karli called Wyandotte police, and a detective and Child Protection Services began investigating. Now nearly a month later they say the sitter has yet to be brought to justice and the detective handling the case is going on vacation.

"I just don't understand how consciously, someone who knows what's going on, who knows the details of the investigation, can go on vacation for an entire week and just leave this sitting here," Karli said.

Javier, an army veteran and Detroit police officer, is livid.

"I feel like more can be done," he said. "In one aspect I understand what they're trying to do but in another aspect the city I work in and how we work, I feel like we could be faster; we could be more proficient. We would have already had her. We would have already had her off the street. 

"She's a risk for babies. She's a risk for other people's children. It isn't just about our son it's about the safety of other children."

FOX 2 went to the sitter's home in hopes of getting her side of the story.

"No thank you," she told us. "Have a good night."

Javier and Karli say CPS has cleared them of any wrongdoing and is ready to close the case but cannot because Wyandotte police has yet to finish its investigation. As long as the case remains open, Karli, a Wyandotte Public Schools employee cannot work and, more importantly, Kameron cannot come home. This with Christmas right around the corner.

"As his first one, I know he won't remember but we will," she said. "And that's what hurts."

Right now Kameron is living with his grandparents. About the investigation, the Wyandotte police chief says the detective is handling a number of cases but this one is by no means on the backburner. He just wants to make sure everything is in order before sending it to the prosecutor.

If you'd like to make a donation to the family to help with Kameron's medical bills, you can do so via their GoFundMe account here.