Fan dies after fall during NY, Atlanta game

A fan died after falling from the upper deck into the lower-level stands at Turner Field on Saturday night during a game between the Atlanta Braves and the New York Yankees, police said.  Atlanta Police Department homicide unit Lt. Charles Hampton confirmed the death hours after the fall in the seventh inning of the ball game.

The Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office identified the man as Gregory Murrey, 60, of Alpharetta. He was pronounced dead at Grady Memorial Hospital.

Police don't suspect foul play at this point, Hampton said. He also said no fans were hurt in the area where Murrey fell.

The man fell from section 401 and landed close to a 200-level area where the players' lives and families sit to watch the game. Blood was seen on the concrete surface around the seats. There was no delay in the game.

Stadium medical personnel treated Murrey for about 10 minutes, applying CPR. As they worked in a circle around him, security guards cleared the area. The fan was taken from the seating area on a backboard, and transported to the hospital.

Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius was standing on second base, following his double, when he saw the man fell. 

"I was thinking about it the whole time," Gregorius said after the Yankees won 3-1. "All I can say is my condolences to the family. It was right in front of the camera in the press box. He hit the wires."

The fall immediately followed the introduction of Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez as a pinch hitter in the seventh inning.

Major League Baseball said it had been in contract with the Braves and was monitoring the situation.

Another fan, Adam Staudacher, and his girlfriend were returning to their seats near where Murrey fell. Staudacher, 33, from Virginia Highlands, Ga., said it appeared the fan landed head first on a 3-foot-wide walkway between sections. He estimated 20 EMTs immediately surrounded the fan and began doing CPR, adding they treated him for "five to seven minutes" before taking him away.

Staudacher said he saw no movement from the fan.

"There were a ton of kids right there," he said. "It was a disturbing scene. Disturbing doesn't really go far enough."