Animal clinic warns pet owners about hollow dog bone treats

Image 1 of 5

The clinic manager at the Animal Clinic of the Humane Society of Sarasota County has a warning about hollow-center dog bone treats. 

She's sounding the alarm after a dog had to be sedated to have one such bone removed from its lower jaw with bolt cutters. 

Marilee Namaka posted the warning on Facebook along with pictures of the dog with the bone stuck on its jaw. 

"PSA: Please don't give your dogs these bones. Not the first time I've seen this either," Namaka wrote. "This bone was completely wedged behind his canines and had to be cut with bolt cutters to get it off."

Namaka says the hollow part of the bone was about two and a half inches wide. She said it was sold to its owner as a dog treat.

Regardless of whether the bone is marketed as a treat for dogs, or is just a scrap from the kitchen, Namaka says bones are just not safe for dogs to eat. 

"I have been the field for 24 years and have seen a lot of issues with bones. I have seen them stuck across the roof of their mouth, pieces wedged in the gum line. Not to mention the ones who perforate the intestines," she told FOX 13 News. 

The FDA has also put out warnings about the dangers of dogs eating bones or bone treats, including ones sold under the names “ham bones,” “pork femur bones,” “rib bones,” and “smokey knuckle bones,” according to complaints filed between 2010 and 2017.

Thankfully, this pup only suffered minor cuts and scrapes from the bone around its lower jaw and was able to be treated at the full-service Animal Clinic of the Humane Society of Sarasota County.

The FDA provided these tips to keep your dog happy and healthy when it comes to treats and food: 

- Chicken bones and other bones from the kitchen table can cause injury when chewed by pets. 

- Make sure items put in the trash are out of dogs' reach and don't pose a threat. 

- Ask your veterinarian about toys or treats that are appropriate for your dog.