HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Union Pacific 4141 carried former President George H.W. Bush from Spring to his final resting place in College Station on Thursday.
Thousands lined the tracks, waving flags and saluting as the presidential funeral train passed through towns along the 70-mile route.
Presidential funeral trains began use in 1864 with President Abraham Lincoln. President Bush's presidential funeral train is the first to be used since 1969 with Dwight Eisenhower.
President Bush's train consisted of an engine pulling 13 historical cars.
The Engine - Union Pacific 4141
Union Pacific 4141 was first unveiled in 2005 at the George Bush President Library and Museum in College Station. The locomotive was custom-painted to incorporate the colors of the Air Force One used during President Bush's time in office. Since it's unveiling in 2005, UP 4141 has delivered shipments across the 23 states served by Union Pacific.
Power Cars 207, 208, and 2066
Power cars provide electricity to the entire train. Each passenger car is connected to the power cars with a series of cables. Power cars also have living quarters for the electrician who monitors the system.
The City of Portland
The City of Portland was named for a famous streamliner passenger car that ran from Chicago to Portland. One of 10 dome diner cars built by American Car & Foundry in 1955, the City of Portland has seating for 44.
The City of San Francisco
Built in 1955, it is the only dome lounge in the passenger fleet that is still configured for end of train service. According to Union Pacific, the windows in the back wall and the exterior lighting allows it to be used as the last car of the train.
The Council Bluffs
The Council Bluffs was originally built as a postal storage car. It was later converted to a baggage recreation car for a train sent to the U.S. political conventions in 2000. For use in President Bush's funeral train, glass windows were added so those paying their respects along the route could view the president's casket.
The Lone Star
Originally built in 1950 as a coach car, the train was rebuilt to be a business car in 1957. In 2001, the car was renamed Lone Star in recognition of Union Pacific's operations in Texas.
The Harriman was built in 1955 as a dome lounge. It was renamed Harriman in 1988 in honor of former Union Pacific chairman Edward Harriman.
The Overland was built in 1949 as a lunch counter cafe and lounge. Four decades later, it was rebuilt as a 36-seat diner.
The deluxe sleeper car was built in 1949 and originally named the Wester Valley. In 1965 it was renamed Sun Skies. The car was converted into an eight-bedroom sleeper in 1989 and renamed the Portola after a town in northern California.
City of Denver
The car was built in 1959 by the St. Louis Car Company as a lunch counter cafe and lounge. The car was rebuilt in 1989 as a 36-seat dining car and renamed the City of Denver. The car is named after a streamliner passenger train City of Denver that made its first trip in 1936.
The Walter Dean is a dome lounge car named after a dining car waiter with Union Pacific in 1942. Walter Dean's clientele included Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland and Frank Sinatra. Passenger service ended in 1971, but Dean remained with the company serving special guests.
The car was originally built in 1950 and rebuilt in 1963 as a business car. The car was named the Kenefick in 1988 after John Cooper Kenefick. Kenefick was a trainmaster in 1952 who eventually became the railroad's president in 1971, then the chairman of Union Pacific in 1983.