NEW YORK - 22 people, including more than a dozen children, were injured, one critically, in a fire in Queens on Wednesday afternoon.
The fire broke out in the basement of a home on 147th St. in the Kew Gardens Hills section at around 2 p.m.
60 fire and EMS personnel were at the scene of the 2-story home.
The fire was under control by 2:45 p.m.
The fire marshal says a lithium-ion battery caused the fire. A burned e-scooter was found in the basement.
FDNY Chief of Operations John Esposito says, "We've had several lithium-ion batteries fires the last couple of years. So we're advising to use caution when they are charged. Don't charge them overnight. Don't charge them while you sleep."
The Department of Buildings says there were two businesses located in the home. They say a daycare and a dental lab were operating in the basement. It was unclear if the daycare was licensed.
There had been construction work that was done in the basement without permits, officials said.
18 children were hurt in a fire in Queens.