LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) -- A Nigerian official says search efforts have been halted a day after a school building collapsed in Lagos with an unknown number of children inside.
National Emergency Management Agency official Ibrahim Farinloye told The Associated Press that workers have reached the foundation of the collapsed three-story building and don't expect to see any further bodies.
He declined to give an updated toll of dead and rescued. Officials late Wednesday said eight had died and 37 had been rescued.
Scores of children were initially thought to be inside.
Associated Press video from the scene on Wednesday showed at least one dust-covered child being carried out of the rubble.
They cheered as the child was lifted out.
Building collapses are all too common in Nigeria, where new construction often goes up without regulatory oversight.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.