Memphis Police said Sunday they have apprehended a person of interest in the search for the gunman who shot and killed an officer during a traffic stop the previous night.
Officials told Fox News that no charges have been filed against the person of interest and that the investigation into the shooting of Officer Sean Bolton, 33, is still ongoing.
Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong said during a news conference that police were alerted about 9:18 p.m. Saturday that an officer had been shot multiple times. Armstrong said the officer was transported in critical condition to a hospital, where he died.
In a statement Sunday morning, Memphis Police said that a civilian had used Bolton's radio to notify police about the shooting. No further details were released.
Armstrong said police are using all available resources to find the shooter and that officers are grieving, adding that "this is just a reminder of how dangerous" the job is.
"Sadly to say, we've been here before," he said.
Bolton is the third Memphis officer to be fatally shot in slightly more than four years. Officer Tim Warren was killed while responding to a shooting at a downtown Memphis hotel in July 2011. In December 2012, Officer Martoiya Lang was killed while serving a warrant.
Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton Jr. said Bolton's death "speaks volumes about the inherent danger of police work" and asked others to "pray for the family and pray for our city."