Gas explosion prompts evacuation of restaurant in Hollywood apartment building
HOLLYWOOD, CA (FOX 11/CNS) - A natural gas explosion rocked a restaurant in the heart of the Hollywood tourist zone Wednesday evening, sending glass from blown out windows onto the sidewalk and street.
WARNING GRAPHIC LANGUAGE:
Max Mars who shot the video above said, The explosion 'shook the block. It felt like a small earthquake. I could see the dust and debris at the end of my block. I went down to see if anyone needed help. usually a very busy intersection with pedestrians. A miracle no one was injured.'
One person was being evaluated for possible injuries at the scene of the blast, which was reported at 7:31 p.m. in the 1700 block of Highland Avenue near Hollywood Boulevard, according to Margaret Stewart of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The floor above the restaurant was evacuated as a precaution and residents on higher floors were told to shelter in place, Stewart said.
Hazardous materials and urban search and rescue crews were dispatched to the scene, Stewart said.
The gas was turned off and readings were taken as crews searched all residential floors to make sure no one remained in a hazardous environment, Stewart said.
Copyright 2017 FOX 11 Los Angeles : Download our mobile app for breaking news alerts or to watch FOX 11 News | Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.