5-year-old boy fights severe eczema

A five year old boy who suffers from extremely severe eczema is desperately searching for a solution.

Morgan Bishop’s skin condition is so bad he can barely walk because of irritated skin on the soles of his feet, and he’s told his mother he’d rather die than suffer through it anymore.

According to Morgan’s mother, 36-year-old Dana Bishop, her son has suffered from eczema since he was four months old.

The family has tried almost every treatment available from the United Kingdom’s National Health Service – even a form of chemotherapy.

The condition has made the skin on Morgan’s feet and legs very sore. He can’t walk and has to use a scooter to move around when he has a flare-up.

The eczema even makes it hard for him to sleep, so much so that he can only attend school for half-days sometimes and rarely has a chance to play with friends.

“We've lost part of Morgan's personality to the eczema,” said Dana, of Tadworth, Surrey in England to the Daily Mail. She had to quit her job as a family support worker to take care of Morgan.

“We haven't got lives. Winter is hell for his skin because of the central heating and cold weather, but we rarely go outside in the summer either as heat and pollen aggravate the eczema too.

“There's no respite for us. On his fifth birthday, Morgan told me he'd rather die than cope with the pain of eczema anymore – it was heartbreaking to hear.”

Oftentimes, Morgan is so tired from not being able to sleep due to the pain at night that he goes to school in the mornings and takes naps in the afternoons.

His parents say that when he’s in school, Morgan is often distracted by his scratchy and itchy skin to even hold a pencil.

“He'll come home from school and tell me that he tried to play with his friends, but had to sit out after just a few steps,” Dana said.

“When it gets really bad, it almost looks like an acid burn.

“His one-year-old brother Jenson is very understanding. He'll see Morgan scratching and try to help by rubbing his cream in for him.

“My husband and I have to take it in turns to take Jenson out as it's not fair on him to be inside all the time, but we feel guilty not being able to include Morgan.”

Dana says that she and her husband Paul, 43, have to constantly apply cream to Morgan’s skin during the day. Four to six applications are recommended.

They also swaddle little Morgan in a wet wrap each night.

In eight months, Dana and Paul say they have only had four good days where Morgan’s skin doesn’t flare up.

And in addition to his eczema, Morgan suffers from nephotic syndrome. It causes large amounts of protein to leak out of his kidneys.

Dana believes that the medications Morgan has to take to fight his kidney ailments have also worsened his eczema.

Morgan also has over 20 allergies including eggs, nuts, dairy, potatoes, soya, and rice.

Doctors have suggested that Morgan be fed by a tube with one food introduced at a time so doctors can figure out what he can tolerate and what he can’t.

Dana, however, is against it.

“But he's already experienced food so he'll know what he's missing. He's too old to not realize what's going on but too young to rationalize with and understand that it'll be for his own good,” she said.

“He's very strong-willed, so I know he'll just pull the tube out.”

After searching all over the internet, Dana and Paul found a hydrotherapy clinic called the Avene Centre in France.

Treatments offered at the center include ones involving warm water and wraps claimed to treat eczema and psoriasis.

Now, Dana has set up a GoFundMe to raise the money needed for three weeks of treatment. It includes hydrotherapy with natural spring water and appointments with leading dermatologists.

Meantime, Paul is planning a charity bicycle ride spanning 900 miles to help with costs.

“All Morgan wants is for the itching to stop,” Dana said.

“He always asks me if I can make it stop in time for Christmas or his birthday.

“Since discovering the Avene Centre, I've spoken to parents all over the world who've been in our shoes.”

“One man said his little girl was so ill she had to be physically carried everywhere, but halfway through her first session it was like a light switched on and she came back to life.

“We're praying the same happens to Morgan.”

To donate visit the Bishop’s GoFundMe page: http://www.gofundme.com/paulbishop