Workers sickened by bear repellent fumes at Amazon warehouse

ROBBINSVILLE, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say 24 workers at an Amazon warehouse in New Jersey have been taken to the hospital, at least one of them in critical condition, after bear repellent fell off a shelf and released fumes.

About 30 other workers were treated at the warehouse in Robbinsville on Wednesday morning. Most people were reporting difficulty breathing or burning in their throats.

Authorities say it appears some bear repellant fell off a shelf, causing a discharge of fumes. The discharge was contained to the third floor of the building's south end.  Hundreds of workers are normally inside the building during work days.

Amazon confirmed that the accident dispersed strong fumes in the area of the facility. The incident is under investigation.