LOS ANGELES, Calif. (FOX 11) - Discovery Cube is educating both kids and parents this Halloween season to crush candy habits for healthier options -- and these are sure to be much more exciting!
Mobile app users, click here for a behind the scenes video.
SHOPPING LIST & DIRECTIONS:
1) Cheese and Pretzel Broom Sticks
1 Bag of pretzel sticks
1 Bag of string cheese
1 small bunch of chives
1. Cut cheese sticks into thirds and pull apart one end to make look like a broomstick
2. Stick a pretzel into the opposite end.
3. Garnish with a tied piece of chive
2) FrankenKiwi Monsters
1 small bag of dried blueberries
1 small bag of thicker dipping pretzel sticks
1. Slice one end off each kiwi, so the kiwi sits upright and flat.
2. Beginning at the cut end of the kiwi, use a vegetable peeler to remove some of the kiwi's fuzzy skin. As you get toward the top third of the kiwi, pull the skin away in little jagged bits so that the skin remaining at the top of the kiwi will look like messy Frankenstein hair.
3. For the mouth: Break a pretzel stick into a small piece (roughly about ½" to ¾" long), and gently push that piece lengthwise into your kiwi to make a mouth.
4. For the bolts: Break another pretzel stick (or a thicker pretzel "dipping stick") so you have two end pieces that are each about ½" long. Shove those into your kiwi (broken end first), one low on each side of your kiwi, to form the bolts in your Frankenstein's neck.
5. For the eyes: Use two chocolate chips or two dried wild blueberries for eyes, gently pushing each into position above the pretzel mouth.
3) Orange You a Jack-O-Lantern?
Small, sharp kitchen knife
1 box of strawberries
1. Gather oranges and slice off the tops with a sharp knife or an Xacto. Cut around the inside edges.
2. Remove the orange sections and reserve for fruit salad, homemade orange juice, or smoothies.
3. Cut out fun jack-o-lantern designs.
4. Stuff with sliced bananas and strawberries.
4) Monster Apple Bites
4 Green Apples
1 Jar of sunflower butter
64 sunflower seeds
1 box of strawberries
1 bag of edible “googly” eyes
1. Cut the middles out of each quarter of the apple to create a mouth.
2. Coat the inside of the cut gap with a filling of sunflower butter.
3. Place 4 sunflower seeds on the top of the "mouth" for the teeth.
4. Place 1 sliced strawberry inside the mouth for the tongue.
5. "Glue" each eye above the mouth with a dab of sunflower butter to stick.
Through the Discovery Cube "Healthy Living Initiative," they offer fun examples of alternative snacks that are healthy and themed for the month. Discovery Cube is also hosting its annual Spooky Science event at both Cubes!
More info: http://oc.discoverycube.org/