Teenager dead, dozens of people poisoned by carbon monoxide

Image 1 of 2

A teenager died and dozens of Perth Amboy, New Jersey, residents and police officers were sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.

Perth Amboy police said at least 35 people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, including at least 27 officers. Three relatives of the 13-year-old girl who died—a man in his 40s, a 21-year-old woman, and a 14-year-old girl—remain in critical condition after the exposure at a 3-story, 12-unit building.

Police responded to the building around 4 p.m. Thursday. Officers found several people unconscious and immediately started CPR on victims.

The city of Perth Amboy put up displaced residents in a hotel Thursday night. Firefighters were searching for the source of the carbon monoxide late Thursday.

Authorities said they are looking to see if carbon monoxide detectors in the building worked.

The police chief says every police officer in the city reported to the incident.

With the Associated Press