Cops: Man killed in Uptown Starbucks was carrying weapon, narcotics

Image 1 of 3

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE - A man killed in a shooting a Starbucks in Uptown that also left two other people injured, including a 12-year-old boy, had just completed a drug deal, and was carrying a weapon and narcotics when he was shot, according to police.

Sauvignon Watkins, a father of two from the Avalon Park neighborhood, was killed in the shooting Thursday evening in the Starbucks at 4753 N. Broadway, according to Chicago Police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

The incident started with a drug deal nearby, according to Town Hall District Cmdr. Marc Buslik. Police said Watkins and a 24-year-old man who was also wounded were involved in the narcotics transaction.

The 12-year-old and 24-year-old were waiting for Watkins inside the Starbucks when the shooting began, Buslik said. But police later said the boy was “not connected to the incident.”

Just after 8 p.m., a person in a ski mask chased Watkins into the coffee shop and opened fired, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.

Watkins was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said, though it was unclear where on the body he was shot.

The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the groin and was being treated at Lurie Children’s Hospital, where he was in good condition, police said. The 24-year-old was shot in the abdomen and was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in serious condition.

Police said a weapon and narcotics were found on Watkins.

A police source said both Watkins and the 24-year-old are documented gang members who have “prior history with police.”

“As far as we can tell, this was not a random act,” Buslik said.

Kendra Nance, 26, who lives in the neighborhood, was walking at Broadway and Lawrence when she heard four shots. She walked to the Starbucks and saw people running and a man lying inside.

“There was a lot of blood,” Nance said.

The Starbucks was closed Friday morning, according to a statement on its website, which said it was “dismayed” over the incident.

“The store will be closed tomorrow morning (Friday) as we focus on our local store partners, ensuring they have the support they need. We will continue to support law enforcement in their investigation,” the statement said.

No one is in custody as Area North Detectives continue to investigate.