9-year-old dies of massive cocaine overdose

Police are investigating the death of a nine-year-old Ohio boy as a possible homicide after tests showed the cause was acute cocaine toxicity.

Marcus Lee, Jr. died the day after Crhistmas but it took months for the toxicology report to be finished.

The fourth-grader was pronounced dead at Akron Children’s Hospital after being rushed by ambulance from his mother’s home.

“The test results were 'off the charts,' according to the Cuyahoga County Coroner’s Office,” Lt. Doug Bobovnyik told WFMJ-TV.  “It appears he ingested it orally."

The boy’s mother has retained an attorney and officers have not been able to question her since receiving the toxicology report, police said.

Marcus' father and stepmother told WFMJ that they initially were told his death was likely due to a seizure or other defect.