NEW YORK (FOX5NY) - More than two dozen people were injured in a Sunday night fire in the Cypress Hills section of Brooklyn that is now being blamed on an exploding wheelchair battery.
The flames broke out at about 11:40 p.m. in the four story apartment building and it took crews until the early morning hours on Monday to get it under control.
The FDNY initially thought the fire started in a dumpster and spread to a 1st floor apartment. Fox 5 News later reported that a battery on an electric wheelchair exploded, causing the fire.
30 civilians and two firefighters were taken to hospitals, including Jamaica Hospital, with injuries. Two people were reported to have life-threatening injuries. Three people remained hospitalized on Tuesday morning.