14 students hospitalized after possibly eating laced candy in Humboldt Park
CHICAGO (SUN TIMES MEDIA WIRE) - Fourteen students at a Humboldt Park neighborhood elementary school were hospitalized Wednesday morning after possibly eating laced candy.
The students, all 13 or 14 years old, were taken to hospitals at 8:35 a.m. from James Russell Lowell Elementary School, 3320 W. Hirsch, “after possibly consuming candy laced with an unknown substance,” according to Chicago Police, the Chicago Fire Department and a statement from Chicago Public Schools.
Four patients were taken to Stroger Hospital, four were taken to Norwegian American Hospital, four were taken to Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center and two were taken to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, fire officials said. They were all in good condition.
“School officials contacted 911 in response to concerns that a group of students may have ingested an unknown substance earlier this morning,” CPS spokeswoman Emily Bolton said in a statement. “Emergency services providers responded promptly, and a review of the situation is underway.”
James Russell Lowell Elementary School teaches students from Pre K through 8th grade.