TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Republican Party of Florida suspended Chairman Christian Ziegler and demanded his resignation during an emergency meeting Sunday, adding to calls by Gov. Ron DeSantis and other top officials for him to step down as police investigate a rape accusation against him.
Ziegler is accused of raping a woman with whom he and his wife, Moms for Liberty co-founder Bridget Ziegler, had a prior consensual sexual relationship, according to police records.
"Christian Ziegler has engaged in conduct that renders him unfit for the office," the party’s motion to censure Ziegler said, according to a document posted on the social media platform X by Lee County GOP Chairman Michael Thomason.
Ziegler tried to defend himself during the closed-door meeting, but the party board quickly took the action against him, Thompson said.
What to know:
- The Florida GOP suspended Ziegler and demanded his resignation during an emergency meeting on Sunday.
- Gov. Ron DeSantis and other top officials have called for him to step down as police investigate a rape accusation against him.
- Ziegler is accused of raping a woman with whom he and his wife, the Moms for Liberty co-founder, had a prior consensual sexual relationship, according to police records.
- Ziegler has not been charged with a crime and says he is innocent.
- The couple have been outspoken opponents of LGBTQ+ rights, and their relationship with another woman has sparked criticism and accusations of hypocrisy.
"Ziegler on soap box trying to defend himself, not working," Thompson posted before confirming the votes. The party’s executive committee will hold another vote in the future on whether to remove Ziegler.
The Sarasota Police Department is investigating the woman’s accusation that Ziegler raped her at her apartment in October. Police documents say the Zieglers and the woman had planned a sexual threesome that day, but Bridget Ziegler was unable to make it. The accuser says Christian Ziegler arrived anyway and assaulted her.
Christian Ziegler has not been charged with a crime and says he is innocent, contending the encounter was consensual.