NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - Monday afternoon’s fatal helicopter crash at 787 7th Avenue in Manhattan isn’t the first aviation accident New York City has had to deal with.
- In May 2019, a helicopter crashed into the Hudson River near 30th Street and the Lincoln Tunnel. No-one suffered any serious injuries.
- In March 2018, a sightseeing helicopter crashed into the East River near the Upper East Side, killing five people.
- In 2009, nine people were killed when a tour helicopter and a small airplane collided over the Hudson River.
- In 2006, New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor were killed when the light aircraft they were flying crashed into a building on the Upper East Side.
- In 2004, a helicopter belonging to WNBC-TV crashed in Flatbush, Brooklyn. No-one was killed.
- In 1986, traffic reporter Jane Dornacker was killed when the helicopter she was reporting from suffered mechanical failure mid-broadcast and crashed into the Hudson River.
- In 1977, a rotor blade broke off of a helicopter on the roof of the former Pan Am (now MetLife) Building, killing five people
- In 1945, a B-25 Mitchell bomber crashed into the Empire State Building, killing all three members of the flight crew and 11 more people on the ground.