"The ice cream, to me, is what we do. It has a positive effect. The popcorn, I've been doing it since 2007, so that's 11 years now. And I'm completely fine," executive chef Matthew Marotto said. "It has a cool effect. It definitely lets you experience something and it makes you comfortable around nitrogen."
Health officials aren't into this frozen food fad. The state's health department and Suffolk County are advising against it. But Nassau County Health Department took it a step further by not allowing restaurants to serve nitrogen-infused foods because health officials don't feel this is a safe practice.
"First of all, when it's liquid it's very dangerous," Dr. Robert Glatter of Lenox Hill Hospital said. "It can cause burns to the mouth, the esophagus, also it can cause a perforation of these organs as well."
Glatter said he is not aware of any cases where someone got injured but also isn't interested in test tasting.
"In addition, we're talking about burns to the fingers, the hands, because if you handle it, this chemical is minus 300 degrees Celsius and that causes an instant burn," Glatter said. "That can really cause a devastating injury long term."
But those who are drawn to this fascinating treat aren't concerned about the potential risks associated. Many are more interested in perfecting how to breathe like a dragon.