Surf resort tested after 'brain-eating amoeba' death

Health officials have conducted tests at a landlocked surf resort in Central Texas after a man who visited there died from what is known as a "brain-eating amoeba."

Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine told The Associated Press on Monday that results of testing by a team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are expected later this week.

Craine said BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort voluntarily closed as health officials investigate. Fabrizio Stabile, a 29-year-old from New Jersey, died Sept. 21 after falling ill with Naegleria fowleri, a rare but highly deadly amoeba.

An obituary in The Press of Atlantic City describes Stabile as an avid outdoorsman who loved fishing, surfing and snowboarding.

"Our hearts and prayers are with his family, friends, and the New Jersey surf community during this difficult time," BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons said. He said the surf resort, which operates an artificial man-made wave, is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri."

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

The CDC did not immediately respond to a call seeking information on whether others who visited could have Naegleria fowleri.

The CDC says people are typically infected when they go diving or swimming in warm freshwater places.

Normally, people are infected when contaminated water enters through their nose, according to the agency.

A foundation in Stabile's  name was being set up and donations were being sought through a GoFundMe page.

With the Associated Press

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories