GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - A JetBlue flight from New York to San Francisco landed in Michigan after a lithium battery in a passenger's laptop apparently exploded and started a fire.
No injuries were reported and the plane landed safely about 8:10 p.m. Tuesday at Gerald R. Ford International Airport in Grand Rapids.
JetBlue said that flight 915 from John F. Kennedy Airport was diverted "following reports of smoke emitting from a carry-on bag holding an electronic device."
Passenger Kat Honniball said, ""I was stunned. I knew something was going to happen because you know, lithium batteries catching on fire when you're up at 38,000 feet, you can't help but think you gotta do something, so I was prepared for it."
He added people aboard were "absolutely calm" as flight attendants responded.
Firefighters responded at the airport as a precaution, but the airport says the fire was out by the time the plane landed. Airport spokeswoman Tara Hernandez says the plane took off about 8:50 p.m. and continued the flight to San Francisco.
With the Associated Press