NEW YORK (FOX 5 NEWS) - Two young sisters have been killed in a fast-moving fire at a Bronx apartment building that investigators say broke out while their mother was across the street at a laundromat.
Authorities say they found the sisters, Amanda Jabie, 18 months, and Jannubi Jabie, 2, inside the burning third-floor apartment. They were taken to Bronx Lebanon Hospital where they died a short time later.
Witnesses say they saw the mother run out of the laundromat when she heard the sirens from the fire trucks. They say she collapsed outside of the building when she was unable to get inside.
Authorities say at least eight other people were injured including two firefighters.
The fire broke out in the 21-story Butler Houses at 1368 Webster Avenue in the Claremont Village section at about 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Firefighters got the fire under control at about 7:10 p.m., the department said.
No charges have been filed against the mother.
The FDNY said that unattended burning incense sparked the fire and that the partment did not have working smoke detectors.
With the Associated Press