SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Utah authorities say a dog bit off a 4-year-old boy's hand after he stuck his arm through a fence to try to play with the animal.
Fire department officials in the city of Layton say the child was airlifted Sunday to a Salt Lake City hospital and was in serious but stable condition.
Battalion Chief Jason Cook says the boy had a sock on his arm when he put it through a gap between the ground and a solid vinyl fence in his backyard toward two huskies living next door.
His family tried to limit the bleeding until emergency workers arrived.
Authorities couldn't find his hand and are almost certain the dog ingested it.
Animal control officers took custody of the dogs.