Carbon monoxide in NJ home sickens 4 cops, 8 others

MOUNT OLIVE, N.J. (AP) — Four police officers were among 12 people sickened by carbon monoxide in a New Jersey home so toxic it left victims convulsing and foaming at the mouth.

Sensors detected dangerously excessive levels of carbon in the home, said Flanders Fire Chief Tyler Wargo. Five people were taken to a New York hospital, including three of the officers, who were released after treatment. Others were treated at the scene.

The names of the injured people were not released, and a hospital spokeswoman said she could not provide information on a patient's condition without their names.

People were lying on the lawn outside the house in Mount Olive when firefighters arrived around 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Afam Nwandu, 31, said he and his girlfriend saw police and ambulances speeding down the road while they were out for a walk.

Nwandu told NJ.com he saw his neighbor, Paul Gennaro, yelling for help. Gennaro's young son and daughter were on the ground in front of the home, convulsing and foaming at the mouth, Nwandu said.

Gennaro told the couple his wife and two stepsons were still inside.

Nwandu and his girlfriend ran into the home and found Gennaro's wife at the top of the stairs, also convulsing and foaming at the mouth. After bringing her outside, they went back in to search for the two older stepsons. Eventually, all residents were accounted for.

"I've never seen anything like it," Nwandu said. "Just walking into a home and seeing everyone laid out."

Wargo couldn't comment on the cause, but officials have narrowed it down to something in the home.

The Morris County Prosecutor's Office is investigating.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories