All-hands search for Marine who went overboard near Philippines

The Navy and Marine Corps are searching for a Marine who went overboard in the waters near the Philippines during routine operations in the Sulu Sea.

It happened at about 9:40 a.m. local time on August 9, 2018.

In a news release, the Navy says there is an ongoing “all-hands effort” to find the Marine.

"All of our Sailors, Marines, and available assets aboard the USS Essex have been and will continue to be involved in this incredibly important search and rescue operation,” U.S. Navy Capt. Gerald Olin, commander, Amphibious Squadron One and the on-scene commander of the search and rescue operation, said in a statement.

The Navy says their Philippines counterparts are also helping in the search.

"As we continue our search operation, we ask that you keep our Marine and the Marine's family in your thoughts and prayers," said Col. Chandler Nelms, Commanding Officer of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Searchers say they have covered around 3,000 nautical miles so far and have gone looking through the amphibious assault ship multiple times.

The Marine’s family has been notified but the name was being withheld while the search was ongoing.
 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories