Hoverboard fire burns down family's mansion

- A Tennessee family lost everything in a house fire that officials now say was caused by an exploding hoverboard.

The fire erupted at the Belle Meade home of Brian and Megan Fox. The couple were out having lunch with one of their daughters when they began to get texts and calls about the blaze.

When they arrived home, they realized two of their children were trapped inside.

Brian was able to get the kids to jump into his arms from a second-story window. The children suffured some scrapes and bruises and their father broke an elbow.

The family lost everything, but what mattered at the time was that everyone was safe.

In a statement posted Tuesday afternoon with photos of the fire's aftermath, the Nashville Fire Department revealed the cause of the January blaze and warned of the hoverboard's dangers.

Officials said the devastating fire was caused by a FITURBO F1 model.

"If you do own a hoverboard, always use the manufacturer-supplied charge. Do not leave it unattended while charging or plugged into an outlet overnight," read the statement. "Do not overcharge the device and follow the manufacturer’s recommended charging times."

The parents said they did plenty of research before purchasing the toy as a Christmas present for their son.

Coincidentally, a close family friend who also purchased a FITBURBO F1 experienced a small fire while charging the hoverboard, but it only damaged the toy.

Read More

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories