E-cigarette explodes in man's pocket

NEW YORK (AP) — Officials say a man shopping in New York's Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns after his e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

Central Cellars employee John Lee says it looked like fireworks exploding when the vaporizer pen suddenly blew up in the man's pants Wednesday morning.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Aaron Donovan says the man was taken by a private ambulance service to a local hospital. He says the injuries appeared minor.

Donovan says the incident had no impact on train service at the transit hub.

Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire.

Last year, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories