OAKLAND, Calif. (KTVU) - Have you ever wondered what kind of perks tech employees really get? We checked in with companies from around the Bay Area to see what they offer to lure talent while keeping employees happy and healthy.
Below are responses local tech companies sent KTVU when asked about their perks:
- A quarterly $500 travel coupon every quarter good for a stay at any Airbnb listing worldwide for personal travel. The purpose of the stipend is to not only encourage employees to recharge from time to time, but also allows all Airbnb employees to regularly connect with our host community
- Dog friendly office
- Airbnb's office space was designed to inspires creativity and collaboration and is a reminder of what we do and the community we serve. Not only are our meeting rooms inspired by actual listings, but we have photos and stories of our hosts on our walls
- Four hours of paid time off each month for our employees to volunteer around the globe
- We incorporate volunteerism and giving back into our employee gatherings around the globe and have an annual Week for Good where all of our employees, alongside our hosts, come together to give back to the community through various volunteer projects
- Fireside chats from thought leaders, entrepreneurs, and influencers
- Culture of Learning - access to online learning tools and databases, employee taught courses, etc.
- Airbnb partners with various local businesses to offer a range of discounts for healthy food and fitness activities as well as memberships and discounted passes to local museums
This big, welcoming cottage hugs the shore of the Embalse Guatapé, a vast lake created by the construction of a dam in the 1970s. From here, you can go heavy, and climb the 10-million-ton stone monolith nearby, or light, and wander the brightly painted colonial town center. Or split the difference and kayak past lush islands to the charred ruins of Pablo Escobar’s estate. For a closer look, click the link in our bio. Photo cred: @maylis__
- Unlimited PTO - Work-life balance is an important part of life at Dropbox. Dropbox provides unlimited time off for everything life throws your way - new parent leave, family vacation, sick days, and more
- Paid Volunteer Time Off - Dropbox also offers 4 days of paid time off to volunteer and matches employees charitable contributions-allowing employees to support the organizations they care about the most. Dropbox for Good, an employee-driven social impact group, also organizes various volunteering opportunities and initiatives with a focus on STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) education, digital rights, and local poverty
- Creative + Collaborative Workspace: The Dropbox's SF headquarters was designed with one goal in mind - to create the ideal work environment for all employees, offering unique destinations to suite a wide range of needs. The office enables employees to work anywhere - a one-on-one huddle, at the whiteboard, in team pods or even on the roof. Rooms known as "deep focus" and the library are perfect for deeper concentration, while the coffee shop, music lounge, and variety of conference rooms host informal meetings and brainstorms
- Cafeteria: The Dropbox Tuck Shop - Dropbox offers its employees three meals, as well as drinks and snacks throughout the day. The cafeteria, lovingly called the "Tuck Shop" is led by executive chef Brian Mattingly
- Special Interests at Dropbox - Dropbox employees are encouraged to create special groups to foster relationships and bring people together through activities such as: watching Bollywood movies, playing board games, pool, ping pong, vintage video games, knitting, a capella singing, jamming away in the company's dedicated music room called The Mint, and much more
- Four months of fully paid parental leave for new moms and dads (parental leave can be taken in any increment - ie: weeks or months at a time-during the first year of a child's life, or a year within adoption)
- Robust healthcare benefits, including a medical clinic onsite, insurance covered by the company, and we also cover spouses and close relatives in our Second Medical Opinion program
- 21 days of PTO
- $4,000 new child benefit
- Open and collaborative workspace with a 9 acre green roof at our Menlo Park Headquarters
- Work for a brand that's a household name and a leader in the streaming industry
- Team culture where everyone works together to win big while also succeeding independently
- Smart, self-motivated, and collaborative people
- Discounts on Roku streaming devices
- Competitive salary and equity
- Generous PTO policy
- Work-life balance supported
- Great location; reverse commute for most
- Electric car charging stations
- Free daily catered lunch and generous snacks
- Watch TV while at work!
- Volunteer Time Off: Salesforce employees are eligible to take up to 7 days of paid Volunteer Time Off per year supporting their communities. Since Salesforce was founded in 1999, employees have volunteered more than 1.8 million hours.
- The top 100 eligible volunteers are rewarded with a $10,000 grant to the nonprofit organization of their choice.
- Mindfulness/Wellness: As a customer-oriented company, we know that we can only take care of our customers if we first take care of ourselves. Wellbeing is one of Salesforce's fundamental values, so we devote a lot of time and resources to making sure that our Ohana is happy and healthy. We have standing and treadmill desks; we have workout classes; we have a wellness reimbursement program that offers employees $100 every month to be used on health and fitness programs; and we have wellness zones in which employees can put away their devices and practice mindfulness.
- We also have a Press Pause speaker series, which provides employees with opportunities to "press pause" on their day-to-day activities to expand their minds and learn something new. Since speakers discuss subjects relating to our core values, we've had numerous sessions related to wellbeing, including lessons on managing workplace anxiety and meditation practices from a Zen master (we've also hosted Matthieu Ricard ["The Happiest Man Alive"], Tara Brach, Jack Kornfield, 30 monks from the Thich Nah Hahn Foundation, and more).
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Salesforce employees are able to spend $100 each month any way they want with Salesforce's Wellness Reimbursement Program - fitness classes, nutrition counseling, acupuncture, you name it!
- Aloha Wellness Journey: Salesforce piloted an email program that guides employees along the "Aloha Wellness Journey." Participants answer daily wellness questions, receive helpful tips, and track their scores over time in order to lead happier, healthier lives. The pilot program was so successful that the company is now building the journey into an app and will be rolling it out to employees worldwide.
- PuppyForce: Salesforce offers a communal workspace where employees can bring their best friends to work. The onsite facility is a combination of doggy day care and shared office, where up to six employees can work while supervising their pets!
- Health benefits include meditation rooms and ergonomic consultations for your workspace
- Dining benefits include three meals a day, kombucha on tap, and an onsite fresh juice and smoothie bar
- Fitness benefits include free bootcamp and yoga classes at the office
- Other benefits include an on-site game room and employee game nights and two global days of service in which employees take Friday off to work at a local charity
- In our initial offer letters, we offer Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability, Flexible Spending, 401k
- We receive a gym reimbursement that can be applied to fitness classes as well (i.e. class pass).
- We have unlimited vacation days
- We are showered with Uber credits
- We have a full stocked cafeteria with coffee, juice, snacks, and beer tap
- Yelp groups are a key factor to foster employee engagement within the Yelp family. The groups are employee led and receive a budget for events. Topics include women, parents, diversity, health and wellness, and more
The Yelp offices were designed to create a fun, creative, and collaborative environment. Employees can start the morning with a coffee from our in-house baristas and end the week with a Friday evening beer with friends from the kegs on tap on our All Hands floor. A fully stocked kitchen in every office ensures a snack is on hand, but we don’t cater regular meals to instead encourage employees to explore the local businesses around our office and get some fresh air
Our great HQ location in the heart of SOMA allows easy transportation for anyone coming from East Bay, South Bay or within the city. Yelp provides commuter and wellness benefits to encourage a healthy lifestyle and public transportation use, too. Perks like an on-site chiropractor in our San Francisco HQ and a golf simulator in Phoenix help people relax and take care of themselves
Employee charitable donations are matched and the Yelp Foundation Gives Local annual nonprofit grant contest encourages employees and our community to vote for the nonprofits they’re passionate about. Yelp also coordinates volunteer opportunities amongst employees through an internal platform called Benevity and Yelp Cares employee groups
From day one, our sales folks go through an intensive Yelp Sales Development Program that prepares them for success at Yelp. We also do leadership development summits and management training. On a less formal note, Yelp also encourages employees to share knowledge and skills in an authentic way, like our weekly Friday lunch learning groups, where engineers present on topics of personal interest ranging from ad delivery to salsa dancing
- Fitbits - all employees receive a Fitbit on their first day of work
- Standup desks - every employee workstation is equipped with an adjustable standup desk Treadmill desks
- Every Zillow Group office has a number of conference rooms equipped with treadmill desks where employees can schedule "walking meetings" - On-site yoga classes - Monthly gym reimbursement
- Mind Body & Spirit days in our San Francisco office - The whole office takes a full day off to "press the reset button" and participate in Zillow Group-sponsored fitness events (hiking, biking, Soul Cycle, boot camp), eat healthy food and get massages.
- Maternity Leave - 16 weeks fully-paid
- Parental Leave - 8 weeks fully-paid
- $1,000 in "Baby Bucks" to help new parents purchase the essentials
- Free overnight breastmilk shipping for nursing mothers traveling on business
- Fully-equipped nursing rooms with hospital grade pumps and fridges
- Adoption assistance - $5,000 per employee towards the expenses related to the adoption of a child
What kind of perks do you get? Join the conversation on our KTVU Facebook page or share on Twitter/Instagram using #KTVU.