Search continues for 3rd Brussels bombing suspect

Authorities in Europe are searching for the 3rd bombing suspect.

- An arrest made during an overnight raid in Brussels was not the third bombing suspect wanted in the deadly terror attacks at the Brussels airport.

Authorities said Wednesday that Najim Laachraqoui remains at large. He is believed to have been the maker of the bomb used in the Paris terror attacks last year.

Belgian media had initially reported an arrest. That person has not yet been identified.

One of the suicide bombers, Ibrahim El Bakraoui, who blew himself up at the airport in twin suicide bombings, left behind a will on a computer found in a trash can in a Brussels neighborhood, according to Belgian Prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw.

A raid of the neighborhood of Schaerbeek after the attacks also netted a note from El Bakraoui saying he felt increasingly unsafe and feared landing in prison.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility Tuesday for three deadly explosions in Brussels that killed at least 34 people. Two explosions rocked the Brussels airport and another one at a city subway station during the morning rush.

Police believe that two men were suicide bombers at the airport and that a third attacker, Laachraoui, got away. Police raided an apartment after the attacks and found explosives and an ISIS flag.

Four Americans are missing including siblings Sascha Pinczowski and  Alexander Pinczowski from New York City.

Airport authorities said two explosions at the airport -- with at least one carried out by a suicide bomber--killed at least 11 people and wounded 81.


"What we feared has happened," Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel told reporters. "In this time of tragedy, this black moment for our country, I appeal to everyone to remain calm but also to show solidarity."



Posted by Jef Versele on Tuesday, March 22, 2016


An hour later, shortly after 9 a.m. local time, an explosion struck Maelbeek metro station, south of the airport. The area is home to several European Union institutions.

At least 20 people were killed and 106 injured, according to the mayor of Brussels.

European officials have deemed the explosions terror attacks.


Belgium raised its terror alert to the highest level, diverting planes and trains and ordering people to stay where they were. Airports across Europe immediately tightened security.

The blasts came days after the arrest of the top suspect in last year's Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, in Brussels.

Officials have closed the border between Belgium and France.

A witness tells the Associated Press that the first attack at the airport occurred near a baggage security checkpoint. The second blast happened near a Starbucks.

French President Francois Hollande held an emergency meeting after the explosions with Prime Minister Manuel Valls, Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.

France remains in a state of emergency after the Nov. 13 attacks, which killed 130 people. Several attackers were also killed.

An Associated Press reporter saw several people with facial injuries following an explosion in a Brussels metro station near European Union headquarters. At least two people were seen being moved on stretchers

Alexandre Brans, 32, who was wiping blood from his face, said: "The metro was leaving Maelbeek station when there was a really loud explosion. It was panic everywhere. There were a lot of people in the metro."

A police official urged people to stay away from the airport.

Airport spokeswoman Anke Fransen said: "There were two blasts in the departure hall. First aid team are in place for help."

Passengers were led onto the tarmac and the crisis center urged people not to come to the airport.

With the Associated Press

 App Store Get it on Google Play

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories you may be interested in - includes Advertiser Stories