NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - Recipes for Bacon donuts from Traif restaurant and Black Pepper Bacon from Tellers:
2 cups sifted flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 cup bacon fat
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1/2 cup cooked, finely crumbled bacon
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Mix bacon fat, flour, milk, salt in mixing bowl for 3 minutes (after mixing, mixture
should be tacky but not wet or sticky). May add 1 tbs flour if needed. Chill dough for
15 minutes in covered bowl
2. Roll out dough on lightly floured board to approx 3/4"
3. Cut circles with ring mold or make squares using knife, approx 2". Cut these circles
or squares in half. Let doughnuts sit in warm place to warm dough for approx 5-7
4. Mix dulce de leche with 2 tbs water and reserve
5. Mix cinnamon and sugar and reserve
6. To fry, heat 2 cups oil in 2 qt sauce pot until 350 degrees
7. When oil is ready and doughnuts feel light and fluffy, begin frying a few at a time.
8. Flip doughnut when it begins to puff and one side is golden brown (approx 45
seconds) and cook for 30 seconds on other side
9. Strain doughnuts into bowl and toss lightly with cinnamon sugar, like seasoning
10. Then carefully dip one half of each doughnut into the dulce de leche glaze
11. Remove doughnuts and place glaze side up.
12. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon like sprinkles on a doughnut
13. Definitely eat them while they're warm and we serve them with coffee and dark rum
ice cream at Traif.
BLACK PEPPER BACON
1 Pc Bacon Base
1 Oz Steak Sauce
(see Recipe )
1 ½ Tsp Butcher Cracked Black Pepper
1. Lightly Oil A Sizzle Platter.
2. Place Bacon Cut Side Up On Platter.
3. Broil Under Medium Heat Until Caramelized.
4. Glaze With The Sauced And Sprinkle With The Pepper.
5. Remove From Platter Using A Spatula And Place On Small Rectangle Plate. Serve.
4 qt coarse sea salt
1 qt sugar
8 sticks cinnamon
1 cup allspice
1 cup coriander seed
8 pc star anise
6 ea bay leaves
1 cup fennel seed
7 pc clove
8 ea garlic cloves
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch thyme
1. Combine all ingredients except the fresh herbs.
Store covered and labeled in dry storage.
2. After pork belly is prepped and ready for the cure add fresh herbs and mix.
Yield - 14 quarts
• 2 1⁄2 qt. cider vinegar
• 5 qt. sugar
• 2 ea number 10 cans ketchup
• 2 qt. horseradish, prepared
• 2 qt. Worcestershire sauce