NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - Executive Chef Jamie Knott and Mixologist Guillermo Bravo of Cellar 335 in Jersey City shared recipes for chilled noodles and smoldering bastard cocktail.
Executive Chef Jamie Knott
Makes 1 Serving
1 tbsp. Toasted sweetened coconut flakes
2 oz. (per person) Wonton noodles, thin Hong Kong style
4 pieces Strawberries, half-moon
4 pieces Seedless cucumbers, half-moon
6 pieces Hearts of palm, half - moon
1 tbsp. Chives, sliced thin
½ oz. Watercress, cleaned and cut to 1-inch length
½ oz. Pickled bean sprouts (see recipe below)
Coconut Dressing (makes 1 ounce, per person)
2 tbsp. Pickled ginger
1 1/3 tbsp. garlic confit
½ cup Cucumber, chopped
4 tbsp. Palm sugar
2 cups Coconut milk
4 1/2 tbsp. Lime juice
1 tsp. Sambal
¾ cup Kewpie Mayonnaise
2 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Toasted coriander, ground
½ tsp. Sumac, ground
Mix all ingredients in a blender on high speed for 1 minute.
1. Blanch noodles in boiling water for 1 minute. Shock the noodles in ice water. Once cooled, strain and add a little bit of oil to keep the noodles from sticking together.
2. In a bowl, add noodles, strawberries, cucumbers, hearts of palm, chives, watercress and bean sprouts. Add coconut dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are flavored with coconut dressing.
3. Plate in a bowl and finish with toasted coconut flakes.
Pickled Bean Sprouts
1 pint Bean sprouts
1 cup Rice vinegar
½ tbsp. Rice vinegar
1 ½ tbsp. Sugar
1. Combine rice vinegar, salt and sugar.
2. Once sugar and salt are dissolved, add bean sprouts and the rice vinegar mixture in a pickling jar.
3. Let it cool to room temperature and then close lid.
Smoldering Bastard Cocktail
Mixologist Guillermo Bravo
Makes 1 3-ounce cocktail
1/2 oz. Passion fruit syrup
1/2 oz. Ginger syrup
1/2 oz. Fresh lime juice
3/4 oz. Dickel Rye
3/4 oz. Bacardi 8 year
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Half orange slice
Mint sprayed with Islay.
Place all ingredients into a shaker of ice and shake, strain into a tiki-style glass, and garnish.