NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) - The Scotto family prepared several of dishes off the Fresco by Scotto Mother's Day menu in the Good Day Cafe on Friday.
Bibb Lettuce, Red Onion, Ricotta Salata and White Balsamic Vinaigrette
3 bunches Bibb lettuce
2 red onions, sliced paper thin
Salt and cracked black pepper
5 cups seedless or seeded red and yellow watermelon
4 ounces shaved or crumbled Ricotta Salata cheese
Red wine vinaigrette (see recipe)
1. Clean and rinse the Bibb lettuce and dry thoroughly. Keep the Bibb lettuce chilled
until you are ready to assemble the salad.
2. Place the sliced onions in ice water and soak for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour;
overnight is even better.
3. Place the watermelon, Bibb lettuce and red onion in a large bowl and dress with
red wine vinaigrette. Check the seasoning; add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Place the salad on plates or on a large platter and top with Ricotta Salata cheese.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon finely diced garlic
1 tablespoon finely diced shallots
½ teaspoon finely diced fresh oregano
½ cup excellent quality extra virgin olive oil
1. In a small bowl, add red wine vinegar, garlic, shallots, and oregano. Mix together
with whisk then stream in extra virgin olive oil whisking all together.
2. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Spaghetti alla Chitarra with White Shrimp (6 servings)
yellow tomatoes, spring ramps, garlic, basil, arugula
1 pound fresh Spaghetti alla Chitarra
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced thin
1 bunch spring ramps, cleaned, sliced thin
2 pounds white shrimp (1 package 21-25 shrimp per pound), cleaned and deveined
6 whole yellow beefsteak tomatoes cut into ½-inch dice
½ cup fresh chopped basil
½ cup fresh arugula
2-4 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
1. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium to high heat then add the garlic,
ramps and shrimp. Reduce heat and sauté until shrimp turn pink, about 2 to 3
minutes. Add the yellow tomatoes, turn heat down to a simmer, and cook for 8
minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Drain pasta, place in a large serving bowl, add the yellow tomato sauce, basil,
arugula, and butter; toss and serve immediately.
Praline Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
vanilla bean gelato and warm chocolate fudge sauce (20 sandwiches)
½ cup egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
4 cups pecan halves
Chocolate sauce (homemade or store bought)
1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites and sugar together
until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the nuts into the meringue.
2. Drop the batter by the tablespoonful onto greased cookie sheets and bake for
3. To make an ice cream sandwich, put a scoop of vanilla bean gelato between
two of the cookies and top with chocolate sauce.